Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Move over Old McDonald!

After somehow making it through yesterday, I finally sat down to write this morning.
Apparently the sun hadn't run to some dark corner of the universe, standing us up like a bad blind date, since today and most of yesterday it has been shining his ass off.
Just did the morning rounds, turning on the water on my salad and spring onions

These are my tiny salads. They don't look like much now but you should see them in a month. They are 100% organic since I don't use anything to protect them, a choice that costs me about half of my crop since I'm feeding the entire population of snails and birds in my neighbourhood.
Planting them is quite easy and you can easily do it in a fruit crate on your very tiny city balcony. Personally I set them up in a big tool wooden tool crate that I snatched from my boyfriends father, but it's only about 25-30 cm/10 inches tall so it's well within the height of an easily procurable crate.
You just fill it with plant soil(it's better if you get quality soil since it will help your plants grow stronger), make tiny thumb  deep holes and put your salad in (I use the already grown ones, but if you want you can just put in the seeds - be careful though, they will need more sun and water). Make sure you water them everyday (early morning or late evening) for the first week or so (if it's too cold don't water them for that day) and you will get your own organic salad in no time.



The spring onions work just the same as the salad and don't need any extra depth. I plant these because I have developed an acute intolerance towards normal, supermarket onion that just kill my stomach and leave the bad breath from hell.
I use them for most of my cooking but also in my Spring Salad with all-raw vegetables.
I know they look a little shabby now, but it's been particularly crazy with the weather where I live so they had to go through a few days of Navajo May and a few days of the monsoon season so kudos to them for pulling through.







Just before I finish I have to show you a pic of my crazy chickens clucking at me just as I went to say hello. You know how people say chickens are stupid, with their tiny brains and all? Well, I think mine could well qualify for Genius Chicken of the Year Award. They recognise me, follow me around, make fun of my dog (poor Dudù), constantly escape and get back in on their own, have a bunch of microscopic mice who come visit and let them eat their food... a really cool group wouldn't you say?
Anyway, here they are. And please oooohhhh and awwwwww since I think they are adorable.

Kiss and Peace
Off to Pilatesland

Miss Sinister



No comments:

Post a Comment